A true foundational text for students of Christian ministry. The book has excerpts from key primary sources, insightful analysis and practical application from Harold Burgess on the role of teaching as a means of sustaining the church.
Burgess speaks to those who are eager to ground their students in something more solid than the latest ministry fads.
Part I: Historical Review
- Catechetical processes of the early church and reformation church eras
- Changes in education brought about by the Enlightenment period
- The context of Sunday School as a ministry
- Roots and forms of the Small Groups Movement of the later 20th century
Part II: Perspectives & Principles in Christian Education
- Examines the role of education in different stages of life: children, youth & adults
- Author's personal stories of his ministry experience.